Making Strides Walk For A Great Cause

Breast Cancer Awareness Month
As you all may know October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This month is dedicated to those who have lost their lives due to breast cancer and breast cancer survivors.

Now a little backstory about on how I got involved. A few years ago, a friend of mine had invited me to join her and her team for the Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park. I still remember when she told me how many miles we were going to be walking. By the way, it was 4 miles. Yikes!

With a raised brow, I was thinking to myself "Hey, you could do this. You walk all the time. It can't be that hard."

Yeah...right. I remember being so tired and sore after our lunch. However, I did enjoy the heck out of myself and the wonderful ladies I have come to know. So I can't complain. It made me look at my friend, Nellie in a whole new light. I never realized how engrossed in the cause she was. I mean, here was this woman who was one of my closest friends from high school asking me and some of her closest friends to join her to do this walk.

She had invited us to do volunteer work with New York Cares. I did two events with her. I had planned on working some events myself, but I procrastinated to no end. So, when she asked me to come to the walk with her, after a year hiatus I couldn't pass it up. I mean it is a great cause. To raise money for cancer research and help women get early detection. I don't think we should wait til our late 40's and early 50's to get tested. We should get tested once we start puberty in my opinion. Because you never know. The walk is on October 21st at Central Park. However, there are other locations around the city. So I urge you, even if you don't know someone who has breast cancer, please sign up through the Making Strides website. Donate  what you can in hopes of finding a cure, so no child(ren), husband, mother, sister, and aunt would lose someone to this horrible disease. Get tested!


Comments

Popular Posts