Cooking With GeeJay!: Ms. LaBelle's Over The Top, Top, Top Macaroni & Cheese

Alright, so last Tuesday I mentioned that I don't can't cook. In Cooking With GeeJay!: Entering The Potato Salad Zone, I talked about issues with not cooking a decent meal for myself in like... Forever. With that being said, my hubby had handed me his mom's cookbook. Her cookbook was Patti LaBelle's, 'Recipes For The Good Life.'

After he gave me the book, I decided to jot down some of Ms. LaBelle's home cooked recipes. One in particular, (which also can be seen on Youtube) is her 'Over The Top, Top, Top Macaroni & Cheese.' Yum. Now, I am a HUGE fan of mac & cheese. So when I saw the video about three months ago, I thought to myself "Man, that sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen!" So imagine my surprise that I came across this recipe again. I want to make this version of mac & cheese as soon as I find willing participants to taste it. :) 


Recipe:


  • 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained.
  • 2 large eggs, beaten.
  • 8 ounces of Velvetta cheese, cubed.
  • 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese.
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
  • 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese.
  • 2 teaspoons paprika, plus more to taste.
  • 1 teaspoon Organic Blended Seasoned Sea Salt, plus more to taste.
  • 1/2 teaspoon Organic Blended Seasoned Pepper, plus more to taste.
  • 1/2 cup melted butter.
  • 2 cups half-and-half.
  • 3 tablespoons Italian seasoned bread crumbs.
*I omitted both the shrimp and lobster meat because I don't eat seafood and my hubby is allergic.*

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.
  2. Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
  3. In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.
  4. Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

I can't wait to try this out! I will most definitely let you guys know how it turned out!

Comments

Popular Posts